Ten Beautiful Islamic Qualities
Ten Beautiful Islamic Qualities for Men and Women
For Muslim men and women, for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah’s praise, for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward. (al-Ahzab 33:35)
The message of the Qur’an is addressed to all men and women. Islam is neither only for men, nor only for women. It is for all human beings. Men and women both of them are capable to acquire good qualities and are able to do good deeds. Allah’s blessings and His rewards are for those who obey Allah, whether they are males or females.
According to the Qur’an, the good qualities that should manifest in the life of every male and female believer are many. These are mentioned in various Surahs of the Qur’an. Following are ten important qualities that summarize the noble Islamic characters.
1. Muslim: A Muslim is a person who continuously and all the time surrenders his/herself to Allah. Islam means “total submission to Allah”. It means obeying Allah’s commands and fulfilling all our duties.
2. Mu’min: This is faithful person. He/she lives with and in faith. Iman means conviction and sincerity of the hearth. If “islam” means submission in the outward sense, then “iman” is the inner dimension of a person. Iman is faith and trust in Allah. Iman is the deeper aspect of Islam. It means sincere acceptance of Allah. It means love of Allah with all our heart, all our soul and all our mind.
3. Qanit: This is a person who is humbly devout and always aware of Allah. Qunut means “worship and obedience in the most humble way”. Believers are devoted people. They are the people of prayers and worship. They live in obedience to Allah all the time.
4. Sadiq: This is a truthful and sincere person. This person always speaks the truth and never tells a lie. Sidq is both truth and honesty. Sidq and Amanah are sometime spoken together. They are part of faith. Believers are always truthful and honest. The Prophet -peace be upon him- once said that when a person loses his religion, then first he loses the character of honesty and then finally he loses prayer.
5. Sabir is a person who is patient and steadfast. Sabr is patience, perseverance and steadfastness. Believers are patient in the situations of difficulties and they are firm and steadfast when they are in the situation of trails. They do not lose their faith and their principles under pressures and challenges.
6. Khashi’ is a person who has a great awe and reverence for Allah. Khushu’ is to have deep respect and fear of Allah in the heart. Those who have Khushu’ in their life they do not become arrogant or boastful people. They do good deeds but their good deeds make them more humble and kind towards others.
7. Mutasaddiq is a person who is always generous and gives in charity. Tasdduq is from Sadaqah which means voluntary charity to express one’s kindness and friendship towards others. The believers are charitable people. They care for others. They are not selfish or concerned only about their own selves, but love for others what they love for themselves.
8. Sa’im is person who fasts. Sawm means fast but literally it means “to abstain and to control”. The believers fast during the month of Ramadan and other times. Fasting is not only avoiding food and drinks and observing some other rules, it also means self-discipline and self-control. The believers do not do anything Haram, but even in Halal things they are careful. They do not over indulge or waste their resources.
9. Hafiz al-Farj is a person who is very conscious of his/her sexual morality. Hifz al-furuj literally means “guarding the private parts” which means both avoiding the illicit sexual relations as well as improper behavior in dress, walk and talk. The believers do not follow their lusts and desires. They follow a decent and proper course of action in all aspects of life.
10. Dhakir Allah is person who remembers Allah always and never forgets Him and also mentions Allah’s name always. Dhikr is to keep some one in mind, to remember in the heart, and to mention by the tongue. People generally mention that which they love very much. The believers love Allah and so they talk about Him all the time and they keep Him in their minds.
We must strive to develop these qualities in our lives. These qualities will give us best character and they will bring happiness and success in this life and in the Hereafter. The world today has forgotten these qualities. Even the so-called religious people feel shy to speak about them. Islam is a reminder to all human beings, males and females, to do good things. The real salvation of the soul and society is in these values and characters.